Sunday 14 April 2013

It all started in a Danish apartment...

   ... when I invited some friends over to celebrate my 24th birthday. The majority of us are foreign students here in Denmark: some full degree students that will stay for a couple of years and some are exchange students for a semester or two. Also my boyfriend's best friend joined us and he gave me a wonderful birthday present: a book to understand Danish culture and people. He told me that, since I refuse to watch "The Olsen banden" movies, I had to learn some other way. I might have felt a little resented by reading the book's title (Xenophobe's guide to the Danes), but, instead I started reading and enjoying it. The other (non Danish) people had a look at it as well and agreed with everything that was written.
   At that point,a little idea started growing in me: Danes are very good at explaining themselves and their culture to foreigners (when they do it) but, do they know how foreigners see them?
I've always given a thought at what I observe day by day, when I go out for grocery, walk along the street or at the university, but I've never had a chance to share this with anybody.
Now, I have a great group of international as well Danish friends, and I think it's time to give a voice to the expereience of foreigners in Denmark and an opportunity to both sides to understand each other a bit better.

If you want to read a bit more about me, have a look at my profile.

No comments: